In Fall 2019, Avnet Inc., a multi-billion dollar Arizona-based distributor of electronics, and a leader in the global technology solutions space, approached WPIC about launching a flagship store in China’s e-commerce space.
The organization was particularly interested in enhancing their global B2B e-commerce strategy and expanding their web presence in China to serve small and medium sized businesses inside the market.
Aside from not having a flagship storefront, the company had several other challenges in the market:
- Many in-demand products (Raspberry Pi computers, for example) that were on sale in China had insufficient stock to meet customers’ demands
- Their products in China were often being offered at a higher price than similar products of their competitors
- Some products were only deliverable to Hong Kong SAR- outside Mainland China- which was a significant inconvenience to customers.
With 37% of the B2B commerce market share across China, WPIC identified that the most attractive destination for Avnet’s products would be Alibaba’s 1688.com.
With more than 10 million store fronts across the platform, 1688.com is China’s leading portal for business sales, connecting suppliers throughout the world with business buyers in China.
To activate the Avnet SuperStore on 1688, WPIC would take the following steps:
- Optimize SKU selection for China’s market, using Discripto, WPIC’s custom-built distributed script engine
- Products were identified based on high-performing industry keywords, price point, and high-performing similar SKU’s
- Run paid advertising on Yingxiaobao, 1688’s in-house digital marketing platform
- Continually optimize the products being offered
- These optimizations would be decided by high-performing keywords, click-through rates and conversion rates
- In-platform marketing on 1688.com
- Allow customers to sample select products inside the Avnet flagship super store
- This would encourage customers to place orders quickly
- This would also build an in-market database that could then be marketed to
- Re-design and deploy the Avnet flagship storefront
- All products were re-classified
- Products in stock were prioritized in display
- Banners were launched, featuring popular products
- Build a dedicated area for Raspberry Pi computers (which were the most popular product sub-category)
As China’s largest wholesale e-commerce platform for industrial products and components, 1688 turned out to be the perfect platform for Avnet to expand their presence in the market.
The Avnet flagship super store gives businesses in China easy access to products that integrate hardware and cloud. Additionally, the partnership with Alibaba provides customers with access to dedicated experts experts in the Avnet ecosystem.
Additionally, thanks the combined efforts of WPIC and Avnet (both of whom have extensive experience in the China market), product data was optimized to present accurate information in a way that was most helpful and appealing to Chinese customers, so that they can make the right decisions for their devices.
As a result of the combined work of WPIC, Alibaba and Avnet, the flagship store was live within two months, and debuted at Alibaba Cloud’s annual Aspara conference in Hangzhou, PRC, in September 2019.
Related Case Studies
Enterprise Support and Native Ecommerce
Arrow Verical was pursuing an aggressive ‘land and expand’ China strategy and required a wide range of diverse Enterprise services from one centralized, in China source. MORE
Danaher requested a reworking of their entire China digital program for their operating companies already doing business in China. Convergence, transparency and optimization were top priority for the multi-brand conglomerate. MORE