This episode of The Negotiation podcast features part 2 of our in-depth discussion with Gordon Domlija, an advertising and media specialist with over 25 years of experience in communications and marketing.
In Part 2 of our conversation with Gordon, we continue talking about marketing in different regions of Asia. We dive into the various strategies Chinese domestic companies use compared to that of international brands, highlighting the importance of understanding customer needs and adapting marketing strategies accordingly. Gordon shares his insights on the role of self-expression in Chinese marketing and how the shopping experience has changed over time.
Last, we also discuss national pride’s impact on consumer behavior and the challenges that Western brands may face when trying to compete in China. Gordon stresses the importance of localization and the need for brands to understand cultural differences in shaping consumer tastes. We conclude our conversation by exploring the potential of the metaverse in the advertising industry and how it may shape the future of marketing, especially in the APAC region.
Topics Discussed and Key Points:
● The importance of self-expression in marketing and how Chinese companies have capitalized on this trend
● The changing experience of shopping in brick-and-mortar stores and how Chinese companies have improved their retail spaces and customer experiences
● National pride and consumer behavior in China
● The importance of heritage and history in Western brands, and the shift towards valuing quality and exclusivity in China
● Effective localization of global products
● The challenges potentially faced by foreign brands in China and the importance of understanding customer needs and competition
● Gordon’s experience managing different APAC markets during COVID
● The importance of understanding local nuances and customer needs in order to succeed in different markets
● The population shift in Southeast Asia
● The development of the metaverse and its relevance in Asia
● Entertainment shopping
Explore Our Recent Library
Stay on top of industry trends and best practices.